Job posting: Grants Controller at Maternity Foundation
Maternity Foundation invites candidates to apply for a new position as Grants Controller at our Copenhagen headquarters.
Our program spans the globe, so we are looking for a colleague with the ability to keep the big picture while being able to dive into the financial day-to-day controlling and quality assurance of our growing number of international grants and partnerships.
About Maternity Foundation
Maternity Foundation is a Danish development organization that works to reduce maternal and newborn mortality in developing countries. Maternity Foundation has a comprehensive maternal and newborn health programme in Ethiopia, while at the same time working with partners across sub-Saharan Africa and Southeast Asia to scale our digital health tool, The Safe Delivery App.
As a team member of Maternity Foundation, you will be joining an expanding group of colleagues in Copenhagen, the US, South America, India and Ethiopia. We come from various backgrounds – global health, midwifery, anthropology and the business world – and we take pride in an entrepreneurial spirit and a can-do attitude. Together, we are an ambitious and driven team working in a warm and informal atmosphere.
This is a new position within Maternity Foundation and we are looking for a person with a positive can-do spirit, who is not afraid to take on the challenge of structuring and systematizing this work area within the organization.
Position summary and responsibilities
We are looking for a Grants Controller to support our program team. Your core responsibility is to quality assure and support the financial management and financial quality assurance of our projects across Sub-Saharan Africa and Southeast Asia. In Ethiopia we have an independent country programme with an increasing portfolio and a finance team of three staff. You will be playing a key role in setting up new and improved financial control and quality assurance mechanisms for the financial management of our Ethiopia program in direct liasing with the financial team in Addis Ababa.
In our partnerships across the rest of the world we work with organizations such as the UN, ministries of health, Save the Children, PlanBørnefonden and other NGOs within the maternal and newborn health field. Our main donors include the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Merck for Mothers and a number of Danish and international family foundations as well as an increasing number of project grants from institutional donors. You will be responsible to control and ensure quality and compliant financial management of grants and funding from our donors and partners throughout the project cycle.
You will report to Maternity Foundation’s Program Director, but will also be working closely with our HQ-based accountant.
Specifically, you will be responsible for:
- Support and quality control development of project budgets, in close collaboration with the program team.
- Monitoring of project budgets, including preparing regular budget follow-ups project staff and teams.
- Collect and review financial project reports from the partner’s administrative offices.
- Ensure quality financial reporting to grant donors and management, including monitoring of grant requirements and compliance.
- Development of financial tools and templates for partnerships management.
We offer a flexible working environment, a network of international colleagues and the freedom to influence and develop your areas of responsibility.
Required profile and experiences:
- An educational background within finance, business administration, or similar.
- A strong controller background with minimum 5 years of work experience in a finance function.
- Full proficiency in oral and written English.
- Knowledge and experience of working with donor-funded programs.
- Ability to work and communicate on a cross-organizational level.
- Prior working experience with the NGO sector and/or global development is a huge advantage.
- Must possess the ability to work pro-actively and independently, while involving your team when necessary
- Must demonstrate a positive can-do spirit
- Must be structured and systematic
- Must be able to liaise and build bride between teams with different functions
Terms and conditions:
The position is based at Maternity Foundation’s headquarters in Copenhagen. The work hours are 25 hours per week.
Submit your application and CV to email@example.com no later than August 5th 2019.
For questions, please contact Program Director Anne Marie Frøkjær Barrie at firstname.lastname@example.org